Nursing school is hard, especially during times like these. That’s why we worked with our community of clinicians and nurses to compile a short and handy list of 10 things to have and know for nursing school! These must-have items make fantastic gift ideas for nurses.
1. The right scrubs and awesome shoes that can last a full day in the classroom and clinic.
2. A versatile stethoscope that provides clear heart, lung, and body sounds for both adult and pediatric patients. A quality stethoscope is needed to measure blood pressure.
3. Compression socks/stockings to ease being on your feet all day long. These will help with circulation and prevent pain. 15-20mmHg is best for the most effective compression.
4. A small bottle of hand sanitizer that will fit into your pocket so you can wash your hands between patients.
5. A handy watch for when you can't reach your phone to check the time.
Important things to Know/Remember
6. Failure isn’t the end of the world; resilience is key to success.
7. Remind yourself why you started! Doing this will keep you motivated for the hardest days.
8. Every day you will touch a life or a life will touch yours. Make your impact positive and great.
9. Build a relationship with nursing students a semester ahead of you. They can send you their old syllabus and give you a headstart on topics!
10. Optimize your study habits so you can get through nursing school successfully. Dedicate one day each week to reviewing old notes and strengthening your knowledge.
Eko is honored to work with Chris Hernandez on this article, who is a nursing student at the Bronx Community College Nursing program in NYC. Chris uses Eko stethoscopes during school clinical settings and while tutoring first-semester nursing students. While in school, Chris works as a medical scribe at CityMD and aspires to become an ER Trauma RN after graduation.